Brown County authorities urge caution in dry conditions

Brown County firefighters say a home fire Thursday was caused by hot coals discarded in a nearby wood line. The coals sparked a fire in the woods that that then spread to the structure.

According to Brown County Volunteer Fire Department, firefighters were called to the structure fire Thursday afternoon at about 3:43 p.m. and found heavy fire at the fully-involved home when they arrived. Using water from a nearby lake, crews from several departments put out the home fire and a fire in the woods. They were on scene for more than four hours and the home was destroyed.

Assisting at the scene were the Fruitdale, Hamblen Township, Southern Brown, Morgantown, and Harrison Township volunteer fire departments, along with Jackson Township Fire Department and IU Health Lifeline.

Brown County is currently under a burn ban due to the danger of wildfires in these extremely dry conditions. Brown County Emergency Management says that the ban will remain in effect through April 12th, as predicted rainfall is not expected to offset the drought conditions. Recent rains have not been enough to saturate the soil and dead fall remains as a significant source of fire fuel.

The department also warned that campfires must be attended and completely extinguished before being left.

Photo courtesy of Brown County Volunteer Fire Department