Family loses Central Avenue home in early morning fire

Columbus firefighters believe a heating lamp caused a fire that completely destroyed a home early Saturday morning on Central Avenue.

According to Columbus Fire Department, a resident of the home in the 2600 block of Central Avenue woke up to the smell of smoke and the homeowner found a small fire in a breezeway between the home and garage. Firefighters were called to the scene at 4:10 a.m. in the morning and found the breezeway completely engulfed in flames and the fire had spread into the home. Firefighters fought the fire for about 30 minutes before getting it under control.

Firefighters were able to rescue a cat from the fire and recover a few items for the family from the wreckage.

The homeowner said that baby chickens were kept under a heat lamp in the breezeway. Investigators say that an extension cord was used to power the heat lamp.

Damages are estimated at more than $220,000 and the home is believed to be a total loss.

The family is being assisted by the Salvation Army.

Photo courtesy of Columbus Fire Department.